Road, pavement and pathway maintenance and cleaning

Printer-friendly page

Fallen trees

To report fallen trees on the road...

contact Highways Fault Reporting online or call  Herts Direct on 0300 123 4047.

Be aware of rogue tree contractors - check if your tree surgeon is registered

If there is a problem on a road or pavement please contact the County Council directly:

Tel: 0300 123 4047

Issues the County Council cover include:

  • grass cutting on street verges
  • trimming of public hedges 
  • weed control on road paths and gulleys
  • lowering greenery to ensure a clear line of sight at junctions
  • bus stops and shelters
  • salting
  • overgrown trees 
  • potholes
  • street light faults
  • traffic signal faults
  • broken traffic signs

On the HCC website you can also find out if there is any planned road resurfacing or landscaping in your area. This may mean you don't need to report the problem to Herts as they will be in the area soon.

In this section

Abandoned vehicles small Street care and cleaning

How to report fly-tipping, abandoned vehicles, graffiti or other problems.

Toilets Public conveniences

There are 18 public conveniences located around the district, which are operated and managed by the Council.

Tree maintenance Council tree maintenance

Trees in parks and open spaces and on council housing land are maintained by St Albans City & District Council. This land occasionally includes verges and open spaces that adjoin directly onto roads.

John OConner Grounds Maintenance Contract Management

Information on the current grounds maintenance contract

Roundabout Sponsorship of events, roundabouts, city entrance signs and flower beds

We operate a sponsorship scheme for a number of roundabouts, City Entrance Ssigns and flower beds within the district in addition to our 3 year events programme.

street names Street name plates

Reporting broken or damaged street name plates