Paying your council house rent

Printer-friendly page

We have several ways that you may pay your rent at your convenience. You can use your rent book in council offices, use direct debit or pay online using the simple Alliance & Leicester Billpay system. You will be sent a Tenancy Information Card showing the weekly rent due, and a Rent Book for making your payments.

Direct Debit

You can download, print and fill-in our mandate form below to pay your rent by Direct Debit. Alternatively you can call 01727 819230 to request a mandate to be sent to you.

Paying via Standing Order

You can pay by Standing Order. Our details are

H S B C Plc
31 Chequer Street
St Albans
Herts     AL1 3YN
Sort Code                   40-40-01
Account number         01403818

You will need  your 8 digit tenancy reference number. If you do not know your tenancy reference number, you can call our offices on 01727819301 to request this.


You can make payments by debit card via

Post Office

You can pay at any Post Office by cash, cheque or debit card. You will also need your rent payment card and will be given a receipt.


Council Offices

Payment can also be made at Council Offices, but cash is not accepted. Please note that cheques should be made payable to St Albans District Council.


Automated Payment Line

You can also pay via our automated payment line on 0161 785 3880. You will need your 8 digit tenancy number.

What to do if you fall into rent arrears

It is important that you contact your Housing Officer without delay if you have difficulty paying your rent.

Don't worry about asking for assistance. Your Housing Officer will be sympathetic and understanding of genuine difficulties.

Your Housing Officer will check that you are receiving all the benefits that you are entitled to and can help you to complete any application forms for benefits you are not receiving. They will also help you to reach a realistic agreement to reduce the arrears on your rent account. If an agreement to make regular payments to reduce your rent arrears is made and this agreement is kept to then no future action will be taken.

It is very important that you speak to your Housing Officer as soon as possible and work with us to reduce your arrears. If you owe us rent, it is important that you respond to us when we try and contact you by phone, letter, email or other means, and that you keep any appointments we make to meet with you.

If we have tried to contact you and have received no response we may have no option but to take legal action that could result in you losing your home. If we have to take this action you will incur costs of around £325.00 and could be evicted from your home.

It is important that you do not ignore letters sent to you regarding your rent arrears and sort out any problems with your rent at an early stage.

Date of last review: 24 July 2017