We will generally grant permission for lodgers provided the property will not be statutorily overcrowded as defined under the Housing Act 1985.

In addition we must be satisfied that there is no reason to suppose there is going to be a disturbance caused in the neighbourhood.

Where a request is received the following actions will be taken:

A visit will be carried out in appropriate circumstances to ensure that tenancy records and current occupancy are the same.
Providing that the property will not be overcrowded and there is no reason to suppose that nuisance will be caused then permission will be granted and a letter sent to the tenant.
Tenants in receipt of Housing Benefit must be advised of the need to notify the Housing Benefits Section with an explanation that their rent will be affected and that a non-dependent charge(s) will be due.

Date of last review: 31 May 2018