If you think the decision we have made about your Housing Benefit and/or Council Tax Reduction is incorrect. You can;

  • Request an explanation as to how we have calculated your claim 
  • Request that we look at your claim again. 

You should request this within one month of the date that we notified you of our decision about your claim.

What if we are unable to change our decision?

We will write to you and tell you why we are unable to change our decision.  If you are still do not agree with our decision you can appeal to an independent tribunal.

Housing Benefit and Council Tax Benefit - How to appeal a decision

An appeal tribunal is like a court of law.  Appeals for Housing and Council Tax Benefit are dealt with by the HM Courts and Tribunal Service.
A properly made appeal must:

  • Be in writing
  • Be delivered to the Council offices
  • State your name and address
  • Provide the name and address of any representative and an address for the appeal documents to be sent
  • Be signed by the person making the appeal
  • State what is being appealed
  • Give the grounds for your appeal
  • Be within one month (or 13 months*) of the date of our decision/reconsideration regarding your benefit

*An appeal can be considered for up to 13 months (but no longer) if you have good reasons for submitting a late appeal.  If we decide that we are unable to accept your appeal, we will submit your request to the Tribunal who will decide if your late appeal can be accepted.
We will send to the Tribunal details of:

  • your appeal
  • the law
  • the facts we used to make our decision.

At the same time we will send you:

  • a copy of the appeal papers

Read the appeal papers carefully. If you do not understand something, then ask us, an advice centre or a solicitor to explain. We can send you a list of local advice centres.

The Tribunal will then contact you directly with a form to complete to allow the appeal to proceed.

For further information please go to: http://www.justice.gov.uk/tribunals/sscs

Council Tax Reduction - How to appeal a decision

Appeals for Council Tax Reduction are dealt with by the Valuation Tribunal. They will only consider your appeal after we have looked at your claim again and decided we are unable to change our original decision.

You can appeal to them against our decision about -

  • whether you are entitled to a council tax reduction
  • how much council tax reduction the council has awarded you under the local scheme.
The Tribunal is unable to hear appeals about the contents of our Council Tax Reduction scheme, only about the way the scheme has been applied to your individual case.
For further information and to make an appeal please go to: https://www.valuationtribunal.gov.uk/your-appeal-type/council-tax/council-tax-reduction/
Date of last review: 12 December 2016