Clinical and hazardous waste

Printer-friendly page

Hazardous household waste

Toxic Waste RFVarious products routinely used in the home are described as 'hazardous' and MUST NOT be disposed of with your normal household waste. This is because they can cause damage to the environment and health.

Examples of hazardous waste include: 
  • Electrical items such as computer monitors, televisions (classed as Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment - WEEE)
  • Energy efficient light bulbs (contain mercury)
  • Chemicals such as weedkillers, pesticides, solvents, glues, acids, preservatives and poisons.
  • Items containing Ozone depleting substances (e.g. fridges)
  • Batteries
  • Oils (except edible oils)
  • Asbestos
  • Clinical Waste (see below)
Disposal of hazardous household waste from the home requires specialist help and advice. If you are in doubt about the safety of a product, or do not know how to safely dispose of it, then call the WasteAware helpline on 0300 1234 051.

Items such as fridges, freezers and electrical and electronic equipment can be taken to the Household Waste and Recycling Centres or collected by the Council through our Special Refuse Collection Service

Hertfordshire County Council provides a special collection and disposal service for small quantities of hazardous waste. This service is free of charge. 

Asbestos has to be disposed of at suitably licensed sites. It cannot be taken to Household Waste and Recycling Centres. If you have asbestos to dispose of from your home, Hertfordshire County Council will be able to advise you on its disposal. Please contact the WasteAware helpline on 0300 1234 051.

Clinical waste collection from domestic properties

The Council's contractors, Veolia, will arrange for the separate collection of clinical waste e.g. dialysis waste, which is then disposed of by incineration. These collections are currently free of charge.

Sharps Collections (needles/syringes etc)

Sharps BinPlease do not put sharps in with the household refuse as they may seriously injure the collection or disposal operatives.

The Council provide a sharps collection service to domestic properties as long as they are presented in the proper container - a yellow lidded sharps bin. These containers should be provided by your GP or the hospital clinic responsible for prescribing your injectable medications. If you need more containers, please arrange for these with your GP or hospital clinic and not the Council. For further information on sharps collections please refer to the NHS Choices website.

When your sharps container is full and you require a collection please contact Veolia on 01727 809019 or email 

Please note that this service is not available to commercial or industrial premises.

If you have sharps under a local needle exchange scheme, then please continue with the current arrangements with your participating pharmacy.

Date of last review: 12 April 2018