Help if you can't pay your Council Tax

Printer-friendly page

If you/your partner's income is low, you can claim Council Tax Support

Council Tax Support is administered by the Benefit Section, which is part of the Council's Housing Department.

You can claim to reduce the Council Tax you pay. This is called Council Tax Support. It is based on your income and financial circumstances. Tis is not the same as a Council Tax Discount which you may be entitled to if you live at a property on your own, for example.

How much you get depends on your income and savings, your council tax band, and your household circumstances. You will not get Council Tax Support if you/your partner have savings of more than £16,000 (unless you also get Guaranteed Pension Credit).

You can get help if:

  • You get state benefit such as Universal Credit, Income Support, Job Seekers Allowance, Employment Support Allowance, Pension Credit, Disability Living Allowance, Personal Independence Payments or Attendance Allowance, or
  • You work part-time or full time but are on a low wage or you pay child care costs.

Council Tax Support starts from the Monday after you make a claim, so it is important you claim straight away.

We may need to see proof of income and savings like:

  • Wage slips if you are working (five weekly or two monthly recent wages slips)
  • Bank statements unless you get Income Support, Income Based Job Seekers Allowance/Employment Support Allowance or Guaranteed Pension Credit.

Click here to see how much you could get

Click here to claim now 

Back to the top

If another adult in your home has a low income

If another adult in your home has low income, you can claim 'Second Adult Rebate'

You can claim Second Adult Rebate if you have another adult living with you, who is not your partner, and their income is low. Second Adult Rebate can reduce the amount you have to pay by up to 25%. It is based on the income of the other adult in the property, so you can claim this even if your income and/or savings would normally mean you wouldn't be entitled to a reduction. For example, if you are single and have an adult son or daughter living with you. If they have a low income or get Income Support, Job Seekers Allowance or Employment Support Allowance, you can claim Second Adult Rebate.

Press here to

claim now

Back to the top

If you want to make a payment arrangement

Please get in touch xxxxxx

Back to the top

Discretionary reduction for hardship

If you are suffering hardship through exceptional circumstances, we will consider reducing your Council Tax with a discretionary discount.

We will look at whether:

  • you have special circumstances or financial hardship to justify a reduction in Council Tax
  • you have taken all reasonable steps to resolve your situation
  • you have applied for Council Tax Support
  • You have already applied for any other discounts or reliefs you might get
  • you have any other assets you could use to pay your Council Tax
  • our finances need to allow for a reduction to be made

Please contact us at or on 01727 819204/819205.

Back to the top
Date of last review: 25 February 2019