What do we do?

  • ensure street trading activities are properly licensed
  • deal with unlicensed street traders

Street Trading

FlowersStreet Trading is defined as the selling or offering for sale of any article in the street; this includes food, such as artisan bread or a creperie, flowers, arts and crafts etc.

Food traders must be registered with their local Environmental Health Office.

You do not need a Street Trading Consent if you are:

  • Trading as a Pedlar under a licence issued by the Police
  • A market trader operating at a licensed market
  • A news vendor selling only newspapers and periodicals (other matters are taken into consideration such as stalls /receptacles which could result in an exemption not applying)

The landowner may need planning permission and you are advised to contact the Council's Planning Office by email at planning@stalbans.gov.uk

Illegal Street Trading

Anyone wishing to trade in streets under the control of St Albans District Council must obtain a Street Trading Consent.

Anyone found trading in designated consent streets without first obtaining a street trading consent will be committing an offence punishable on conviction by a fine. The term street includes any road, footway or other area to which the public have free access without payment, and also a service area. It also includes part of a street. Some streets are prohibited.

Related Documents

Detailed information regarding the following matters is available in the Street Trading Policy below:

  1. What is not deemed to be street trading
  2. The definition of “street” ,“consent street” and “prohibited street”
  3. A list of the prohibited streets
  4. The consultation period and who we consult with on applications
  5. Details of the different types of consents (static/mobile)
  6. How long the consent lasts and a list of fees

Contact Us

More information and advice is available from Licensing - Tel.01727 819542 email licensing@stalbans.gov.uk

Date of last review: 11 May 2018