Dangerous structures

Printer-friendly page

Dangerous structures can be buildings, walls, fences, or any other structure that because of its condition presents a danger to the public. Fire, impact from vehicles and severe weather can all leave structures in a dangerous condition. Dangerous buildings are controlled by us under Sections 77 and 78 of the Building Act 1984. We respond to all reports of dangerous structures within the district on a 24 hour, 365 days a year basis.

Who to contact

You can contact us by calling 01727 819289 or 819218 during office hours or email buildingcontrol@stalbans.gov.uk

To report a dangerous structure after hours, call 01727 866100.

If the building or structure poses a potential danger to the safety of people, we take appropriate action to remove the danger. We have legal powers to require the owners of dangerous buildings or structures to remedy the defects, or we may instruct our contractors to carry out works to make the building or structure safe and then charge the owner. In addition, we provide advice to the Fire and Rescue Service on the structural condition of buildings during fire fighting, or to the Police in the case of vehicle damage.

What should I do if my property is a dangerous structure?

If you are concerned that part of your property may be dangerous, then you should deal with it yourself through properly qualified professionals such as structural engineers, architects and builders.

Building Control will not deal with arguments between neighbours or civil disputes between tenants and landlords. Therefore, structures that are at risk of collapsing and have the potential to harm members of the public, are the only ones that should be reported to Building Control.

What should I do if I notice a dangerous structure?

If you are aware of something that has been in a poor state of repair, for example, a bowed wall, and it has been that way for some time, it is unlikely to constitute and immediate danger and should be reported direct to the owner as a civil matter.

If an owner is made aware that a certain part or all of a structure they own is in a poor state and will eventually become dangerous, they should take action before it deteriorates and Building Control have to become involved.

Date of last review: 24 October 2018