Disabled Parking and information For Disabled drivers in St Albans
Where to Park in St Albans: On street
Choose a road on the map located on our Controlled Parking Zones page each road will display information for disabled drivers and advise if parking is available and what the restrictions are.
Parking is also available in car parks:
We have a number of car parks throughout the district with some designated spaces for disabled parking. Please visit Our Car Parks Page for more details on the location of the car parks and spaces available.
Parking within a car park in St Albans is free for the first 3 hours when displaying a valid disabled badge and clock set to the time of arrival.
If you require longer than 3 hours you must pay and display, it is recommended to pay for the additional time and display the pay and display ticket alongside your disabled badge and clock with your clock set to the time of expiry of the pay and display ticket. In this instance you would be given 3 hours free from the time of expiry but your clock must be set as directed.
Please note, if a marked disabled parking bay is not available you may still use your disabled badge in a regular parking bay in the same way.
Disabled Parking for Disabled Residents
If you are experiencing problems parking near to your house you may be entitled to have a disabled parking space marked in your road near to your property. The following information will help you decide if you are eligible:
- In the opinion of Hertfordshire Highways and St Albans City and District Council Parking Services department, the location is suitable on Road Safety and Traffic flow grounds. It is generally assumed that these sites will be within residential areas.
- The applicant is in possession of a valid blue disabled badge.
- The applicant's property does not have a garage or drive way or any other off street parking place. In some situations the opportunity to provide off‐street parking space (for example, a front garden of sufficient depth for conversion and provision of a vehicle crossover) may be considered as the solution subject to planning policy.
- Parking demand is high, such that parking spaces in close proximity to the applicant's address cannot be found for large parts of most days (for example, occasional short term problems caused by visitors to places of public use would not normally be considered. If no current parking problems are observed we reserve the right to refuse a disabled parking bay.
- The applicant, if a passenger, is a blue badge Holder and the driver is unable to park in the road and allow the disabled person out unaided, or is unable to push a wheelchair from the nearest parking space which is an unreasonable distance away.
- The driver must live and have their vehicle registered at the same address as the applicant and or the disabled badge Holder.
- All applications are considered on an individual basis.
A bay may not be provided if there is an existing unused bay within 50 meters of the applicant’s property on the same side of the road.
Please Note that the bays are not provided for the exclusive use of the applicant and are an advisory bay only. Any blue badge holder can park in the bay if it is free
To apply for a bay please download the PDF above, print and complete the form as required and return to the address stated
Date of last review: 19 February 2016
Apply for a Disabled Badge Blue Badge
Please note that St Albans City and Distinct Council does not process applications for disabled blue badge's. To apply for a blue badge you should contact Hertfordshire County Council:
By Phone: 0300 123 4040 lines are open Monday to Friday from 8am-8pm and Saturdays from 9am-4pm. Lines are closed on Sundays and public holidays. Please check Hertfordshire County Council website for updated times
By Internet (on line)
Print a form (Please note: this is a link From the Hertfordshire County Council website)
For more information on blue badge applications visit the Directgov Website
To contact The St Albans City and District Councils Parking Services team:
Telephone 01727 819206 or Email