Pay scale increments are paid each April subject to satisfactory performance after annual performance appraisals are completed.
There may also be an annual ‘cost of living’ award, which is agreed nationally.
Child Care Vouchers
We offer Child Care Vouchers through a Salary Sacrifice Scheme. Employees participating in the scheme get relief from paying tax and National Insurance on the amount of salary exchanged for vouchers.
Our full-time working week is 37 hours and we have a flexi-time scheme allowing you to balance your working hours and your home life, subject to service needs.
Technology allows us more flexible ways of working and we will consider requests for a range of flexible working options to help you balance your home and work commitments.
Our staff currently have a range of working patterns including:
- Job share
- Term-time working
- Partial home-working
- Full home-working
- Compressed Hours i.e. 4 day week or 9 day fortnight
Please ask about this when you apply for the job.
In addition to Bank Holidays, our lowest holiday entitlement for a full time worker is 23 days, rising to 27 days after 5 years’ service. Please ask what the holiday entitlement is for the job which interest you.
Part-time staff are entitled to holidays and bank holidays on a proportional (pro-rata) basis.
Local Government Pension Scheme
We will enrol you into the Local Government Pension Scheme (LGPS) when you start with the Council.
The LGPS in England and Wales is a career average scheme and provides benefits including:
- Tax relief on your contributions, which are added to by the Council
- A secure pension
- Tax-free cash
- Early retirement and flexible retirement is possible
- Immediate ill-health benefits if you become seriously ill
- Benefits for your dependants in the event of your death in service
For more information on the LGPS, please visit www.lgps2014.org
Reimbursement of Professional Subscriptions
We will pay your subscription to one professional body per year if it is essential to the post that you be professionally qualified e.g. RTPI, RICS, etc.
We currently have free car parking for employees next to the Council Offices in the centre of St Albans.
Essential Users’ Car Allowance or Lease Car
All employees who are required to drive for Council business are classed as either essential or casual car users.
Govia Train Season Ticket Loan and Discount Scheme
Season Tickets – currently Council employees can obtain
- up to a 50% discount on an annual season ticket with Govia on specified journeys.
- A 10% discount on monthly or ‘create your own period’ Govia season tickets.
Centrebus Season Ticket discount (Route 34)
A £15 discount is available for Council staff on three month season tickets on bus 34 from Dunstable to St Albans.
Sport and Leisure Discounts
We want you to have a healthy work-life balance and we encourage you to use our sport and leisure centres at a discounted rate with -
- 1Life (formally Leisure Connection) who have facilities at various venues around the district including Abbey View Golf & Track Facility, Alban Arena, Batchwood Golf Course & Sports Centre, Harpenden Public Halls, Harpenden Sports Centre and Harpenden Swimming Pool
- Sports and Leisure Management Limited (SLM) at Westminster Lodge Leisure Centre.
Showers and secure bicycle lockers are available at the Civic Centre for staff use.
Council Pool Bikes are available at the District Offices for site visits and meetings.
We provide Interest Free Loans and Discounts for bike and equipment purchase.
Employee Assistance Programme
We offer access to a free and confidential 24/7 telephone line for counselling, support and advice that is available to all staff and members of their immediate family.