Register to vote & FAQs

Printer-friendly page

Register to vote online now by completing a form at:

Individual Electoral Registration (IER)

If you have any queries please view the FAQs below or contact the electoral services office on the details provided.

Individual Electoral Registration is the biggest change to the voter registration system in 100 years. To find out more, visit Your Vote Matters.

For information on the two different versions of the register, please see here.

Contacting the electoral services office

Electoral Services Office
St Albans City and District Council
Civic Centre
St Peters Street
St Albans

Tel: 01727 819294

Frequently Asked Questions

Please see below:

Am I registered to vote?

• If you are registered to vote, you should receive a poll card shortly before the election.
• If you are unsure whether you are registered to vote, please contact the Electoral Services team on 01727 819294 or email

Back to the top

I’m unable to register online, how can I register to vote?

If you are unable to register online, please contact Electoral Services on 01727 819294 and we will arrange for a paper registration form to be posted out to you.

Back to the top

How can I amend my details?

If your name has changed you can register the change online at Alternatively, you can complete a paper ‘Change of Name’ form which must be supported by evidence of your name change, such as a deed poll certificate or a marriage certificate.
If any other details have changed, for example if you have turned 76 or changed your nationality, or to a request a paper ‘Change of Name’ form, please contact Electoral Services on 01727 819294 or

If you have changed address you will need to reregister. This can be done online at or you can contact Electoral Services and request a paper form.  

Back to the top

I’m not sure of my National Insurance number, where can I find it?

You can find your National Insurance number on a variety of official paperwork, such as your payslip, p60, tax return, or benefits’ documents. If you are still unable to find your National Insurance number, you can visit the following website:, or call 0300 200 3502.
Most people in the UK have a National Insurance number. However, if you’ve never been given one you can still apply to be added to the electoral register. When you apply, you will be asked the reason that you are unable to provide a National Insurance number and you may need to provide the Electoral Services office with proof of your identity. 

Back to the top

What is the ‘open’ register?

Electoral Registration Officers hold two versions of the electoral register – the electoral register and the open register (previously known as the edited register).
The electoral register lists all electors who are currently registered to vote and is primarily used for electoral purposes. It can also be used for some other limited purposes such as law enforcement and checking credit applications.
The open register is an edited version of the electoral register, and can be bought by any person or company. For example, it may be used by charities and businesses to check name and address details. You can ‘opt-out’ of the open register at any time, meaning that your details will not appear on the open register. This does not affect your right to vote.
More information about the two versions of the electoral register is available here.

Back to the top

Is the data that I enter online secure?

The online application process is secure. It has been independently tested, and meets best practice guidelines for data security.

Back to the top
Date of last review: 02 December 2016